Why I think you should move to Texas - Video
In todays video I talk candidly and unscripted about why I think you should move to Texas! ?
Hi, my name is Jordan Schilleci. I am a local real estate agent that would love to help walk you down the road of home ownership in Texas, and more specifically, the Houston Suburbs. I know relocation can be full of stress and worries, but I hope to help curb that overwhelmed feeling with some clear understanding and answers.
My goal is for this post to be easy for you to understand. Lets jump right in!
1. The first question you might ask yourself is How do I buy a home in Texas? or How do I move to Texas? I answered this question in this blog post, but the just of it is:
How are you going to finance or pay for this purchase? And you have a few different options.
1. You can cash purchase.
2. You can purchase this home as your primary residence, but you must have proof (along the lines of letter of employment) that you either have a future job here in Texas, or that you can work remotely.
3. You can purchase this home has your second home, but you must qualify for the first and second home on your current salary. The down payment for this option is larger.
2. Next, you must decide if they want to relocate virtually or in person, and at the same time, you need to consider financing.
It is important to note that you can do the whole home buying process virtually. I am doing this service for 75% of my current buyers. We start communicating about their needs and wants, so that I can send them homes. Once they see a home they fall in love with, I go film it, and then they can decide their next step from there. But if you would like to do the process in person, you can plan a visit, and I will put it on my calendar.
Either way, it is important that you get your financial plan set. If you plan on cash purchasing, you will need an updated proof of funds, and if you plan on financing, you will want to get a pre-approval.
I work with a handful of wonderful local lenders. I do always recommend working with a local lender. Having a local lender is one of the keys to getting your offer accepted. The ones I work with are very knowledgeable and patient. With either of them on our side, we will make a great team. They offer amazing rates and the same one-of-a-kind customer service that I give as well.
3. It is important to know the current state of the market. You must accept it, and adapt to it in order to buy a home in this market.
You must be patient yet aggressive in most cases. You must work with a real estate agent and lender you trust. The real estate agent you work with needs to know how to craft winning offers. In this video, I explain some of the behind the scenes on how we win in a competitive market. In this blog post I share the statistics on March 2021. And in this blog post I talk about the hottest 40 markets, and the current state of the market from my perspective. Each week we are seeing never before seen changes.
4. You need to have a firm grasp on how property taxes factor into your monthly payment, and you need to keep an eye on monthly HOA fees.
The Woodlands is the only neighborhood that does not have an HOA fee. The majority of neighborhoods have a yearly HOA fee, and occasionally there will be a monthly maintenance fees. Especially when looking at 55+ communities, condominiums, and townhomes.
For a firm understanding on how property taxes work in Texas, please check out this blog post and this in house e-book. But long story short, the newer the area, the higher the property tax rate, and the higher the taxes. The thing dictating the higher (or lower) tax rate would be the MUD, municipal utility district. The MUD is the entity that built the infrastructure for the water and sewer systems. The government grants them multi-million dollar bonds that have to be paid back by the resident tax payers.
5. Important factors for choosing the right home for you to plant your roots.
1. Most focus on master planned communities with amenities, as well as neighborhoods with great school ratings. This blog post highlights all the different cities, suburbs, and neighborhoods in Houston. And this blog post features all the most popular master planned communities.
2. There are new construction neighborhoods with lower taxes. So know you dont have to 100% rule out new neighborhoods if seeking low taxes. All tax estimates are before homestead exemptions. You will be able to file for a small tax break of about 10%, the following year. Related blog posts:
- Neighborhoods in Montgomery County with Low Tax Rates
- Greater Houston Neighborhoods and Master Planned Communities with Low Tax Rates
- The 15 Best Neighborhoods with A Rated Schools & Low Tax Rates in the Woodlands Area
3. There are two different types of buyers. A house buyer and a neighborhood buyer. You have to decide what type of buyer you are. A house buyer wants a beautiful home that fits all their wants, but might not have the top rated schools. A neighborhood buyer has zeroed in on what neighborhood or neighborhoods they want to live in, then they find a home from there.
4. The current housing market is very competitive. Most winning offers are 10k-20k over asking price, and the buyer is having to waive the right to terminate if the home doesnt appraise. The most competitive markets are below 400k. But I think it is very important to be patient, and not lose hope, if you are looking under 400k. Most homes are selling within the first 3 days. If you think it is perfect, so do a hundred (10-25) other people.
5. The deals are going to be found in the homes with long days on the market. If you are looking for a deal, lets look there!
6. I really cannot stress enough how important it is to work with an experienced real estate agent and brokerage. I hope to hear from you. :)
Welcome to the Jo & Co. YouTube Channel! .. http://byjoandco.com/youtube
We are a real estate brokerage founded by Jordan Marie Schilleci servicing the North Houston Suburbs: The Woodlands, Spring, Klein, Tomball, Magnolia, Conroe, Lake Conroe, Montgomery, Katy, Cypress, Kingwood, and Champion Forest.