What is the MOVE Index and why is it important?
Hello friends and kin,
We are so excited to share with you and the world, The MOVE index. If you receive our newsletter (sign up here if you don't), then you might have caught the spot where we introduced it, but today we wanted to put our research and analysis into one place, and we thought the blog would be perfect.
So what is the MOVE Index, you might be wondering?
The MOVE Index is our personally developed scoring system to give you an overall picture of the market. This goes beyond the question, "Is it a buyers' market or a sellers' market?" The MOVE index is formulated through four main categories, 10 subcategories, and 4 proprietary equations.
M: Mortgage Rate
O: Outside Factors
V: Volatility in the Market
E: Equity + ROI
Each category has a score of its own and is averaged with the other 3 categories to get the MOVE score. The data collected takes into consideration every major financial burden a homeowner must deal with, from interest rates to gas prices. We also use real estate data that is only available to licensed Texas real estate agents. Just that alone makes us more accurate than any large-scale claims by Zillow, Realtor, Redfin, etc. Combined with consumer and producer indexes this not only gives us the most comprehensive real estate scoring system on the market, but it shows us which direction the market is trending.
The MOVE Index incorporates the current interest rates, housing affordability index (median priced income / median-priced home), consumer price index, producing price index, sold data, active date, accumulative days on market, list price to sales price ratio, and equity gain year over year.
The rating score we compute is from 1-10, and below you can learn more about each value.
- 1 | Volatile market - Rates are very poor, equity has dropped, and prices have not corrected.
- 2 | The dust is starting to settle and cautious buyers are starting to explore. It is still not considered the smartest time to buy.
- 3 | Trending upwards in this stage, buying could be considered acceptable, but you will still be leaving money on the table.
- 4 | Sellers are receiving multiple offers on anything decent, and some stabilization of prices and rates has occurred.
- 5 | Middle of the road market. Knowing which way the market is trending is important before making real estate-related decisions.
- 6 | The market slightly favors buyers, and quality listings will move quickly. This can fluctuate with the seasons.
- 7 | Sellers are starting to reduce stagnant homes. Inventory is increasing and buyers can now drive the negotiations.
- 8 | Great market for buyers, but further reductions are still predicted.
- 9 | Rates are low and near the ceiling. Sellers are making concessions and equity growth.
- 10 | Seeing favorable terms for the buyer. This is a volatile zone and can create market instability.
Now why is the MOVE Index important?
At Jo & Co., we think it is important to consult with your financial advisor and your trusted real estate agent before making unrequired moves. We also believe that some times are better than others to buy and sell, and if you don't want to waste money, then considering this timing is key.
We wanted to make a black and white algorthm to accompany our recomendations if someone should buy now or wait, or sell now or wait? The Move Index is important because it mathetically answers that/those questions.
What is the MOVE Index score right now?
We publish the current MOVE Index in our latest newsletter. We publish this twice a month, on the 1st & the 15th, and you can find the latest edition at the top of this page, starting with the February 1st, 2023 newsletter.
Want to learn more about the MOVE Index and how it affects you?
We are so happy you found our little corner of the interwebs. We look forward to y'all reaching out to us. We love to answer questions and welcome them. Recently we created some local maps, and you can download those by clicking the image/link above. Below, you will find an index of some very helpful information to assist you in learning more about the Houston suburbs. If you are relocating to our neck of the woods, we hope you reach out to us, because we would love to help you by being your local realtor and friend. Thoughtfully written for you. Hugs, Jo.
We are Waiting for You
If you are looking to relocate to the Houston Area, we would love to meet you and hear your story. Below you will find all of my contact information, as well as some homes for sale in the area. We truly look forward to hearing from you! P.S. Don't forget to check out our YouTube Channel!
If you are overwhelmed..
Now if you are feeling overwhelmed about where you should plant your roots, I would love to talk to you. You can schedule a call with me by clicking this link: http://byjoandco.com/call or just send us an email: [email protected]. There are some amazing communities all over the Houston suburbs. In this post, https://search.byjoandco.com/blog/best-neighborhoods-in-houston/, I deep dive into all the different suburbs/neighborhoods that you might want to consider, and why. There are many resources here, so please reach out if you are curious about what to look at next! Thank you for trusting us.
• Navigate our Blog: https://byjoandco.com/categories-to-help-you-navigate-the-blog/
• Download our Moving to Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/movingtotexasebook.
• Download our Where to Live in Houston Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/wheretoliveebook.
• Browse our Ebooks and Relocation Guides: http://byjoandco.com/ebooks
• Schedule a phone call or appointment with us! http://byjoandco.com/appointment.
• Email us! [email protected].
• Looking for a buyer’s agent? Fill out our buyer questionnaire! http://byjoandco.com/q.
• Ready to find your dream home? Search, http://search.byjoandco.com.
• Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://byjoandco.com/youtube.